Working in Austria
First step for physiotherapists from abroad planning to work in Austria: They have to be recognized in Austria either by the Federal Ministry for Health (or one of the Universities of Applied Sciences offering Physiotherapy Bachelor programs).
Below you find the contact details of the responsible authorities as well as some information concerning the requirements for the application. For further information please contact the responsible authority directly.
Physiotherapists from EU/EEA/Switzerland
If you would like to work as a Physiotherapist in Austria
- and you have finished your training as a Physiotherapist
- and you are principally eligible to live and practice in a country of the European Union
you need to contact the Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection.
NEW: European Professional Card EPC
Physiotherapists from the EU can use this electronic procedure to have the professional qualifications recognized in Austria.
You can use the EPC procedure if
- you want to practice your profession in another EU country on a temporary and occasional basis (temporary mobility) OR
- you want to settle in another EU country and practice your profession there permanently (establishment).
Physiotherapists from outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland
If you would like to work as a physiotherapist in Austria
- and you have finished your training as a Physiotherapist in a country which is not part of the EU/EEA/Switzerland
- and you are not yet eligible to practice in a country of the EU
you need to contact one of the Universities of Applied Sciences offering physiotherapy bachelor programs in order to submit your application for nostrification.
Further information in English
- Brochure Healthcare Professions in Austria (April 2017)
- Settlement and Residence (Bundesministerium für Inneres/Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs)
Conversion of a foreign university degree (ENIC NARIC AUSTRIA)